Nab 2011 is off with a big band. Plenty of gear to see and plenty of event to attend. I started off this morning with a special invite from BlackMagic Design to their press conference . They had several outstanding things too announce and plenty of new switchers and other post production gear, but here I have highlighted the 2 announcements that really stood out.
DaVinci Resolve 8.0
BlackMagic announced a whole new set of features in DaVinci Resolve 8 that include multi layer timeline support with editing, and XML import and export with Apple Final Cut Pro. The new DaVinci Resolve 8 now includes OpenCL processing to allow use on Apple iMac and MacBook Pro computers. Thats right Resolve on iMacs, unbelievable support.
New advanced processing tools have been added for real time noise reduction, curve grading, advanced multi point stabilization as well as automatic stereoscopic 3D image alignment. DaVinci Resolve 8 also supports the Avid Artist Color control panel and also offers ALE export to relink graded DNxHD files back into Avid editors.
For colorists working on stereoscopic 3D work, Resolve 8 now includes a powerful new automatic image alignment tool that automatically aligns images between cameras to produce an a perfect 3D image.
When working with digital footage shot in low light that suffer from electrical noise in blacks. DaVinci Resolve 8 includes a new high quality CUDA noise reducer which eliminates noise and helps make images perfectly clean. DaVinci Resolve 8 noise reduction is incorporated into the color correctors. This can be be used in any corrector node and limited or by color qualifiers, so noise reduction can be used creatively by the colorist.
BlackMagic supriesed us all with a new product at a very competive price. The UltraStudio 3D a compact and portable capture and playback with built in Thunderbolt technology. UltraStudio 3D features full resolution dual stream 3D support, 12 bit hardware architecture, dual link 3 Gb/s SDI, support for up to 1080p60 in SDI and component analog and HDMI 1.4a connections, as well as full SD, HD and 2K support, for only US$995.
UltraStudio 3D Key Features
- 3G SDI (3 Gb/s SDI) in and out, supports SD, HD up to 1080p60 and 2K.
- SDI inputs include full SDI re-clocking for capture from poor quality SDI sources.
- HDMI 1.4 in and out, supports SD and HD formats up to 1080p60 and frame packing 3D.
- Component analog in and out.
- Component analog switches to s-video and composite.
- 2 channel balanced analog audio in and out.
- 2 channel AES/EBU unbalanced audio in and out.
- Genlock/tri-sync input. • SonyTM compatible RS-422 deck control.
- Supports uncompressed 8, 10 and 12 bit and compressed video capture and playback.
- Capture/playback of side by side, line by line, top and bottom and frame packing 3D via HDMI.
- Capture/playback of side by side, line by line, top and bottom and dual stream 3D via SDI.
- Includes hardware SD and HD keying.
- Compatible with Mac OS X computers with ThunderboltTM.
- Supports Final Cut Studio, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, DaVinci Resolve and more.
- Includes free developer SDK.
- Includes free Media Express capture and playback software.