Over the past couple of weeks I have been working with the latest release Tiffen Dfx Version 3. Tiffen has been a leading manufacturer and supplier of photographic filters and lens accessories for the consumer/professional imaging and the motion picture and broadcast television industries for over 70 years.
With their latest release of Tiffen Dfx V3 is a plug-in that packs some fantastic new features as well as support for both Windows and MAC OSX. Tiffen Dfx V3 also supports a wide variety of software support such as Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer. The entire suite also supports Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, and Apple Aperture for still photographers on a single machine.
Key Light provides you with a tool to relight a still image with a directional or point light. This allows me to directly fix or enhance a still needed for my sequence, and create interesting effects that better suite the tone of the film.
There are also plenty of preset looks and treatments within Tiffen Dfx V3. The EZ mask tool allows you to either select a subject for color correction while the video/film versions have other tools for isolating objects. Tiffen Dfx V3 fits really well with After Effects providing you with great color matching tools.
As many of you know, I truly enjoying working with After Effects on a powerful tower. Well Tiffen has you covered here too. What do I mean by this? Tiffen Dfx V3 supports 8 or 16 bit image processing with multi-processor acceleration. This makes seeing your results much faster ( depending on the power for your edit suite ) and makes their plug-in more efficient than others.
Some other great features included are:
- DeBand: Removes banding artifacts from an image by smoothing pixels in banded areas while retaining detail. Banding frequently occurs, in blue skies for instance, with DSLR’s as well as digital cameras. DeBand effectively smooths out this unwanted banding.
- DeBlock: Removes blocking artifacts created as a result of high compression factors, such as overly compressed JPG images which often cause square blocking artifacts.
- DeNoise: Grain and noise from digital cameras, whether still or video, is a common problem. DeNoise removes the grain and noise while still retaining detail.
- Film Stocks: Simulates 113 different color and black & white photographic film stocks. For those desiring the look of either old or current film stocks, there are simulations of many of the popular brands from Kodak®, Fuji®, Agfa®, Polaroid®, and Illford®.
- Glow Darks: Glows and grows the dark areas of an image, creating a stylized, dreamy dark glow.
- Key Light: Relights images with a directional or point light. Changing the lighting after an image has been photographed gives the photographer/editor control to fix or enhance their images, as well as create interesting lighting effects.
- Rays: Creates stunning and realistic light ray effects quickly and easily. Rays can add shafts of light streaming through clouds, rays filtering through a forest canopy, beams of light on a foggy night, or rays shooting through an interior window. Rays adds a striking and dramatic quality to any image.
- Texture: Applies textures to an image for a stylized look. Adding texture to an image is a great way to create a unique and customized look.
- Match: Matches the color, detail, gradient, and tone of one image and applies it to another.
Tiffen Dfx V3 packs so much more than just some presets and filters. It is a full on edit suite on its own. It really is a powerful tool to have in your arsenal especially since it supports everything from Avid to Final Cut Pro to AfterEffects. This means you are no longer restricted by your editing application or operating system. Tiffen also has a 15 day trial for you to test out the various plug-ins or the entire suite.